You can use an Android tablet or smartphone to directly edit Word or Excel documents which are stored on your Windows PC or laptop. The method is as follows:
- Install the free and excellent Kingsoft Office on the mobile device. This will allow you to edit Office documents.
- Ensure the PC is turned on and connected to your local network.
- Install the free and excellent ES File Explorer on the mobile device. Start the app.
- Click the icon at the top left to open the Fast Access menu and select Network > Lan.
- In the menu at the bottom of the screen click Scan. You should see an icon representing the network, with its IP address.
- Click the Icon and enter the username and password of a registered user.
- Check the “Remember password” box and press OK. You should now see a list of all the mapped drives on the PC. You can use ES File Explorer to create shortcuts to these, or sub-folders, on the mobile device desktop.
- Navigate to the document you want and click. It will be copied to your mobile device and opened in Kingsoft Office. You can now edit it.
- When finished, save the document. It will be uploaded back to your PC.